Call for Applications
The Image and Data Analysis Core (IDAC) at Harvard Medical School (HMS) is a new core facility that enables basic and biomedical research by providing state-of-the-art image analysis and related data analysis expertise. The IDAC mission is to enable and improve research performed at HMS, while simultaneously advancing the field of biological image analysis. We maintain a collection of existing open source and commercial image analysis software packages and train researchers to use them effectively. More importantly, we continuously develop novel algorithms to allow researchers to extract valuable information from their biological images. When interfaced with the cutting-edge biomedical research and imaging happening at HMS, these state-of-the-art methods make new science possible and push the biological image analysis field forward. We also actively work to disseminate our image analysis expertise to the HMS community through seminars, workshops and courses.
IDAC has an immediate opening for a Biological Image Analysis Scientist / Software Engineer. This position will regularly provide advice and direction on image analysis to graduate students, postdocs and faculty at HMS, train researchers to use existing image analysis solutions, convert existing analysis tools into turnkey software, and develop and publish novel solutions to address unmet needs. This position will also have the opportunity to identify additional responsibilities that match his/her interests, such as organizing and teaching image analysis lectures and workshops; organizing discussion groups/journal clubs; developing protocols for comparing and evaluating algorithm performance; or pursuing independent research in image analysis.
Qualifications / Required Skills:
● PhD in a related field with 2 or more years of research experience in biological image
analysis algorithm development.
● MATLAB image processing, image analysis, GUI development experience.
● Effective communication skills; ability to communicate technical concepts to nontechnical
● Strong mathematical and statistical background.
Desired / Preferred Skills:
● Bioimaging optics knowledge – basic principles of modern microscopy.
● Knowledge of basic biology / biological research techniques.
● Experience with modern machine learning methods.
● Develop novel biological image processing, image analysis and data analysis algorithms in MA TLAB.
● Consult and effectively communicate with researchers on the effective use of image analysis methods.
● Train researchers to use existing or novel analysis software, effectively communicating analysis principles and practical aspects of operation.
● Modify & customize existing analysis tools, to provide additional functionality.
● Convert existing analysis tools into user-friendly software.
Interested applicants, send the following materials:
● Curriculum Vitae
● 1 page cover letter describing why you’re interested in working at IDAC, how you would contribute, and anything else you want us to know about you. Please do not just summarize your CV, though you may include any pertinent highlights of your image analysis experience.
● Contact information for three references (we will ask you before calling them).
Please send to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Image Analysis Scientist Position” in the subject line of the application email. Interviews will be arranged as soon as possible and until the position is filled.